Online TRE® Certification Training
This training teaches you how to use TRE as a personal practice, and how to safely guide individual clients and groups in a TRE session. For dates and prices click here.
You will have the opportunity to engage in self-work and self-study in working with yourself and your body in relation to trauma, deep-seated stress, physical and emotional tensions.
This Online TRE® Certification Training is delivered in three modules. Each module consists of three training days, including theory, practice, sharing, and reflection on the experience of TRE.
We meet online (Zoom video conferencing) for four hours per day, and we have coordinated the time to accommodate those from Pacific to Central European time zones.
Professional training, personal goals.
This training is geared towards professionals who want to certify as TRE providers. If you are interested in certification, you must attend all three modules and complete a number of self-practice sessions, supervised sessions, lead a number of individual and group sessions, and complete a practical exam.
You can also participate in any of the modules for your benefit and process.
Many people participate in the TRE training program without wanting to work toward certification. This option may suit you if you want to learn more about TRE for your own personal process and gain a better understanding of trauma and the effects of stress and trauma on the body and the nervous system. You will be able to invest your time in self-work and receive guidance in relation to your own process while learning in a group setting.
The Tension & Trauma Releasing Exercise (TRE®)
The Tension & Trauma Releasing Exercise (or TRE®) was developed by Dr. David Berceli. TRE consists of a series of exercises that help initiate and facilitate the body’s natural ability to release and regulate stress, tension, trauma, and more.
TRE is useful for your own personal use in managing stress and is also a useful tool if you are working with clients and groups to teach them to better handle stress and increase their ability to regulate their nervous system.
Hans Holter Solhjell
Hans will be leading the online TRE training program.
Read more about Hans here.
I became actively involved in self-development as a student in my early 20’s and have been focused on learning, self-development and change processes, body-oriented methods, communication, conflict resolution, parenting, trauma therapy, Integral theory and various sports activities like barefoot running, total immersion swimming, skiing, self-defense, Aikido, Krav Maga etc.
I have trained in and are a practitioner of several practices, the Feldenkrais Method, Communicology, the Sounder Sleep System, Somatic Experiencing (SE), and am also certified as a Trainer in Trauma Release Exercises (TRE).
After completing a major in pedagogy, and also worked at the Police College in Oslo, where I taught psychology with an emphasis on stress management and conflict resolution. I have been teaching courses, trainings, and counseling in private practice since 2006.
In my private practice, I work with councelling and courses for parents, trainings for staff in kindergartens and schools, with body-oriented trauma therapy, and body oriented learning and development processes.
I have also developed several practical models for self-development and developmentally supportive conflict resolution, among them the PLS (Positive Learning Spirals) regulation support model, a practically oriented method for development-supportive communication and conflict resolution in relationships with children.
You can read more about me here.
Robyn will be assisting Hans for the online TRE training program.
Read more about Robyn here.
I am an intimacy coach, facilitator, and certified TRE® provider. I help people feel at home in their bodies, create boundaries in all aspects of their lives, and deepen their joy and intimacy.
I have been working in this area for five years (after a 15-year career in leadership development in the environmental sector).
I am co-founder of the School of Consent with Dr. Betty Martin, creator of the Wheel of Consent — a model for creating agreements that bring integrity to relating.
You can read more about me here.
Content for Each Module
Each module has three main activities. First, learning about and experiencing TRE as a practice, second, sharing and Q/A regarding the practice of TRE and third, theory related to TRE, stress and trauma.
In module 1 the focus is more on your personal TRE experience, and in module 2 and 3 we also focus on how to teach TRE, in addition to continuing and deepening your personal TRE experience.
The plan described here is general and can be adapted to fit the need and timing of the group process. Some topics will be discussed in several of the modules.
In Module 1 you will learn:
- TRE® as a personal practice and gain experience with how it works overtime
- Basic grounding and containment techniques
- Variations on the basic TRE exercises and positions
- Observe your body and adapting to your patterns of tremoring and capacity for self-regulation
- Self-determination, agency, and self-regulation
- Self-adaptation and personalization of exercises
- Basic understanding of the brain and the nervous system in stress and trauma
- The polyvagal theory and the vagus nerve
- Social engagement, Flight and Fight
- Memory systems in trauma and therapy
- Basics of Freezing, Flooding, and Dissociation
In Module 2 you will learn:
- How to teach TRE® to individuals
- More variations on the basic exercises and positions
- Observe tremors in others
- Self-regulation in the role as instructor
- How to teach grounding, self-regulation, self-determination and agency while instructing exercises
- More on Freeze, Flooding and Dissociation
- Practice grounding and stabilization techniques for flooding and overwhelm
- Basic modifications of TRE exercises for various individuals/injuries and physical limitations
- Tremors in TRE vs tremors in medical and psychological conditions
- The psoas, fascia and neuromuscular system
- Understand how stress and trauma settle in the body, and why TRE exercises and neurogenic tremor can be useful in regulating stress
In Module 3 you will learn:
- How to teach TRE® to groups
- Deepen your own TRE practice
- How to adapt TRE and tremoring to special needs
- When not to use TRE
- Combine TRE with other modalities, psychotherapy, body and relational work
- Introduction to hands on interventions (adapted to online format)
- How to work within your scope of practice, knowledge and competency
- Gain ethical awareness for your practice
Dates, Costs & Registration Details:
- Module 1: 24, 25, 26 September 2020
- Module 2: 26, 27, 28 November 2020
- Module 3: 14, 15, 16 January 2021
- Time: Each module will be from
- 8 am to 12 pm PST (San Francisco)
- 5 pm to 9 pm CET (Paris)
- Find your local time here.
- Price per module: US$350
- Price for all three Modules 1, 2, 3 (pre-paid with 10% discount): US$945
- Payment: We will send you an invoice to be paid via bank transfer. Let us know if you need another solution, like PayPal.
- Sessions will be held online using Zoom (details sent out with registration)
- Registration is confirmed upon receipt of payment and payments are non-refundable.
Additional Supervision Costs for Certification:
- Personal Sessions – you tremor w/ supervision (4): US$125
- Individual Sessions – you lead a client w/ supervision (4): US$125
- Group Sessions – you lead a group w/ supervision (4): US$125
- Final Exam — you lead a group w/ supervision (1): US$280
Supervision Package All 13 sessions pre-paid with 10% discount: US$1600.
Prerequisites for Participating in the Online TRE® Certification Program:
In order to be able to complete this online training safely, it is important that you as a participant have some prior knowledge and experience with TRE for personal use.
TRE is a method that is safe to work with for most people, although it can bring buried emotions and memories from the past to the surface. This is a normal and important part of this type of process, and this can be demanding to face for the first time. You should be confident that you can be with and help yourself if this happens.
One of the things we work on with TRE is to help you increase your self-awareness and self-regulation, especially when it comes to dealing with your feelings and memories. You will learn more about this during the course of the training program.
However, if you are a first-time participant in a body-oriented process, and if this seems challenging, either physically or mentally, we do not recommend starting your TRE journey in a training program, and rather start with individual sessions or an introduction course.
To participate, the most important thing is that you have some knowledge of and experience with exercises that contribute to stabilization, resource orientation and focusing on the here and now. These are exercises you typically learn in meditation, mindfulness, yoga, tai chi, and other such practices, as well as in some types of therapy. While you will learn a lot about this in this training program, we recommend having some experience with this before enrolling.
Have you participated in a TRE training previously?
You can enroll in this training as a repeat student, whether it was with us or elsewhere. Participating again will give you an opportunity for a deeper exploration of your own process and help you on the path to certification.
This also applies if you are already certified as a TRE instructor and will give you an opportunity to develop further as a TRE provider and it will also count as part of the process to become a TRE advanced provider or mentor.
As a returning participant, you have the opportunity to deepen your own process, as well as your understanding of the teaching process and role as an instructor.
The price is US$285 for previous participants. Please mention your previous training and/or certification when registering.
TRE® Certification Requirements:
In order to be certified and use TRE as a tool in working with clients, individually or in groups from this training program, it is necessary to have relevant education and/or experience in health and social sciences, social work, pedagogy, psychotherapy, mindfulness, trauma therapy, or body-oriented work as a yoga instructor, massage therapist, Feldenkrais practitioner, meditation or mindfulness teacher, or related.
If you have experience from similar activities, but not as an educator/therapist/practitioner, you also have the opportunity to participate. Please state your intention, as well as your education and professional background when registering.
Apart from completing Modules 1, 2, and 3, you need to complete the following requirements:
- 40 personal TRE sessions and journaling – where you guide yourself through the shaking process – journaling about your experience, what you noticed and observations about your process over time
- 4 personal supervised TRE sessions with a certified TRE instructor – where you are guided through the process by a certified TRE instructor (can be done via Zoom)
- 4 individual TRE sessions – where you guide another through the shaking process and receive feedback on the session from a certified TRE instructor (can be done via video)
- 4 group TRE sessions – where you guide a group of 3+ through the shaking process and receive feedback on the session from a certified TRE instructor (can be done via video)
- Reading and writing assignments
For the individual and group sessions, the supervisor can join remotely by video or the sessions can be recorded for later viewing by the supervisor. Read the full description of the TRE instructor certification requirements here.